Working in a 100% Veggie Sushi factory requires some skills. So it’s about time you help your impatient mum and your clumsy dad. From now on, you’re in charge of the production line and when you’re finished with that, you must prepare for the hardest part… transporting them with real chopsticks towards your mouth!
- Cook 1½ cup sushi rice according to package directions. This normally takes 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peal and halve 1 cucumber. Scoop out seeds. Halve again and divide each piece lengthwise into ½ cm sticks. Halve and deseed 1 red bell pepper and slice into long thin strips. Halve 1 avocado and remove pit. Scoop out the flesh. Slice avocado into long thin strips. Drizzle with some lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Transfer cooked rice to a large bowl and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons rice vinegar and a pinch of salt. Gently fold with a large spoon. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- Place a sheet of nori on a bamboo sushi mat. Shiny side down. Use two spoons to spread rice evenly on the sheet. Leaving 1½-inch border at the end. Place 2 sticks cucumber, 2 slices bell pepper and 2 slices avocado in the center of the rice. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sesame seeds. Moisten the end with a little water, to help seal. Use the bamboo mat to roll the nori tightly. Roll towards the end.
- Put the sushi roll on a clean serving plate. Leave to sit with the joining edges downwards. Make some more sushi rolls (7 total). Cut each roll into 5-6 slices, using a sharp, wet knife.
- Serve with soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi (parents only). Problems with the chopsticks? It’s perfect finger food!
ingredients / metric
- 300g sushi rice
- 1 cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon
- 1 red pepper
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 85g sesame seeds
- 7 nori sheets
- soy sauce
- pickled ginger
- wasabi (parents only)
- bamboo sushi mat